christyleighstewart

Genosha is for lovers

Mostly trashy romance

Lords of the Left-Hand Path: Forbidden Practices and Spiritual Heresies
Stephen E. Flowers
Endless Knight (The Arcana Chronicles, #2)
Kresley Cole
The Derby Girl (Getting Physical, #2)
Tamara Morgan

Vasilisa and the Queen of Asps

Vasilisa and the Queen of Asps - Svetlana Kovalkova-McKenna Since this is a children's book I wanted to look at it in that context. It doesn't seem like this is a book a child would read to themselves, the pace and the lack of visual stimulation would have them putting it down quickly, so I would suggest at lease some illustrations be added. Now, as a book you would read TO a child, it does much better. It is the standard fairy tale adventure you could put down and pick right up the next night without having to have a reminder of what you had read. It has the feeling of entering the universe the author created even after stepping away from it.

As an adult, and as one who is a big fan of fairy tales, I was hoping for something a little more creative. I know I've been spoiled with a lot of modern fairy tale writers, but I was hoping for something...new, something fresh. It would have been great if the story didn't fit so squarly in the fairy tale templates, it had the feeling of being a high school creative writing assignment. The writer is talented, has a good style and execution, but hasn't yet discovered the art of writing. The story has a way of trying to seem to perfect, that she wrote what was expected out of a fairy tale, and that leaves a lot to be desired. It’s not something that you will take away with you or remember once you complete it.

I really appreciated the feminist qualities of the story in where Vasilisa didn't want a husband, and how her mother told her she needed to find herself before she could find a husband. I literally say that to my friends all the time. I wish it hadn't been so heavy handed though, instead of just saying "You don't need a husband. Find yourself first." It would have been better to have that be a part of Vasilisa's character development (not that she had any). Instead of the story being her readiness for a man, It would have been a much needed learning tool for young girls if Vasilisa discovered through the story she didn't need a man and THEN at end the 'When you find yourself' was stated. As it is, it's another story of "Some day your prince will come." Literally.